Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA)
A Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA) is a tax-advantaged savings plan for individuals who are 18 years of age or older to set money aside, tax-free, throughout their lives. You pay no taxes on income, interest, or withdrawals.
A TFSA is a great way to save for both your short and long-term future goals.
Benefits of a TFSA
Learn more about the ways that opening an RRSP can benefit you.
No Tax on Earnings
The flexibility of a TFSA allows you to withdraw your money at any time without having to pay any fees or taxes.
Year to Year Carry Over
Any unused contribution room left over can be carried forward to the next year.
Re-Contribute Amount Withdrawn
Making a withdrawal does not result in lost TFSA contribution room. Withdrawals you make in the year will be added to your unused contribution room.
Tax Free Withdrawals
Any income, capital gains and dividends you earn are yours to keep!
No Age Limit Restriction
Unlike an RRSP, you can continue to contribute well into your golden years.
No matter your income, the contribution for a TFSA is the same. Which is great for those with lower income wanting to tax-shelter a higher percent of their earnings.
TFSA's At A Glance
Maximum Contribution Limit - $88,000
- If you have never contributed to a TFSA and have been eligible since its introduction in 2009, your cumulative contribution room will be $88,000 in 2023.
- You begin earning contribution room from age 18 and must have a valid social insurance number (SIN).
2023 Contribution Limit - $6,500
- The Annual contribution limit can change from year to year.
- The flexible nature of TFSA’s can offer many advantages for any future goal – both short-term and long-term.
- Whether you are buying your first home or would like to put some money aside for travel. A TFSA can help you get one step closer to these goals.
- Everyone has different financial aspirations and your investment plan should reflect this.